HISTORY OF JIGAWA STATE
The state was created on Tuesday August 27, 1991, when the Federal Military Government under the General Ibrahim Babangida announced the creation of nine additional states in the country bringing the total number of states then to thirty. The announcement was given a legal backing through the; State Creation and Transitional Provisions Decree No. 37 of 1991.
Excised from Kano State it covers a total land area of about 22,410sq Km. It is bordered on the West by Kano State, on the East by Bauchi and Yobe States and on the North by Katsina and Yobe States and the Republic of Niger. The state is mainly populated by the Hausa, Fulani and the Mangawa, Badawa and Ngizimawa which are dialects of the kanuri language. They constitute significant percentages in Birniwa, Guri and Kiri kasamma local government areas. There are other settled tribes both from within and outside Nigeria inhibiting in almost all the local Government areas of the state with the highest concentration in the state capital.
The state is mainly populated by the Hausa, Fulani and the Mangawa, Badawa and Ngizimawa which are dialects of the kanuri language. They constitute significant percentages in Birniwa, Guri and Kiri kasamma local government areas. There are other settled tribes both from within and outside Nigeria inhibiting in almost all the local Government areas of the state with the highest concentration in the state capital.
Ever since the inception of the state since 1991, so many strategic point has been named as tourist centres. below are some of the tourist centres;
BIRNIN KUDU ROCK PAINTING
The scientific documentation of rock art of Nigeria is well underway, as demonstrated by the Birnin Kudu Rock Art Center in Jigawa, North-Western Nigeria. The center was established by Mallam Yusuf Abdallah Usman, and is now directed by the Curator Muhammad Adam. The Center’s main role is the protection and conservation of the rock paintings in this region, which is overseen by Salisu Aminu, with a dedicated staff for curation, conservation, education and management. It also concentrates its efforts on fostering a community understanding and custodianship of the rock art.
The rock art depicts various images of animals such as cattle and sheep, as well as geometric signs. The depictions are also believed to be associated with shamanic practices. Some rock art sites that were used for ritual and ancestral purposes in the past are still recognized by the community as sacred sites. The rock art depicts different styles of domesticated cattle, now extinct in Nigeria.
Birnin Kudu Rock Paintings was discovered in 1950-1955 in Birnin Kudu. It is notable as having a collection of ancient rock gongs which were used as musical instruments and warning bells.
Birnin Kudu rock paintings are one of the fascinating proofs of ancient human civilization in Sub Saharan Africa. These paintings are reputed to be more than two millennia old, situated in the lush landscape of Northern Nigeria. The rocks are practically 2000 years old.
The wetlands lie in the Yobe-Komadugu sub-basin of the Chad Basin. They are formed where the Hadejia and Jama’are rivers meet lines of ancient sand dunes in a northeast-southwest alignment and break into numerous channels. They are drained by the Yobe River, which flows east towards Lake Chad.
They lie between Sudanian Savanna to the south and the drier Sahel to the north. Some of the land is permanently flooded, while other parts are flooded only in the wet season (August and September). Annual rainfall ranges between 200–600 mm, during the period late May–September. At one time the wetlands may have covered up to 3,000 km2. Between 1964 and 1971 over 2,000 km2 were flooded. By 1983 less than 900 km2 were flooded, and less than 300 km2 were flooded in the drought year of 1984.
In recognition of the importance and tourism potential of the area and in an effort to conserve its rich wildlife and their habitat, the Kano State Government in 1985, carved out the area of Baturiya wetlands and reserved it as Birds sanctuary. In 1987 the Nigerian Conservation foundation (NCF) in collaboration with several international conservation agencies such as the royal society for the protection of Birds (RSPB), the international Union for the conservation of nature and natural resource (IUCN) and the International council for Birds preservation (ICBP) established the Hadejia-Nguru Wetland conservation Project that covered much of the lower reaches of the flood plain wetlands in the emirate and extended to parts of both Yobe and Bauchi State.
WAWAN RAFI LAKE KAZAURE
Wawan Rafi is situated in Kazaure and it has a scenic environment. The lake is an holiday resort that offers water sport activities such as fishing, boating etc. Golf course and other recreational activities are also taking place there. Wawan rafi lake is a lake that never dries up.
DUTSE ROCK RANGE
GWARAM FOREST RESERVE
The forest reserve is one of the reserves created by the government to preserve the forest and wildlife.
Jigawa has a total of 5 emirates in Dutse, Ringim, Gumel, Hadejia, and Kazaure. The Emirs palaces in all the cities are major attraction centers mostly as a result of their unique and rare blend of indigenous and contemporary architectural designs.
The Arewa symbol is also dominant in the palace art and design. Go along with a high-quality camera during your visit as you won’t get tired of snapping pictures.
BATURIYA BIRD SANCTUARY
This is a bird sanctuary located within the Hadejia wetlands at Baturiya, Kiri Kassama and Gumi LGAs. It covers an area of 320 square kilometres.
The sanctuary houses over three hundred and seventy-eight species of migratory birds mostly from Europe. It is internationally noted and visited by conservationists. It attracts between 1,500 and 2,000 tourists yearly from around the world.
This site has been visited by Prince Philip and Prince Charles who are members of the Wildlife Conservation Foundation.
CAPTAIN PHILLIPS TOMB HADEJIA
This is the gravesite of Captain Philips, an Assistant Resident Officer and leader of the British imperial troops that invaded and occupied Hadejia in 1906, as part of British conquest and occupation of Northern Nigeria.
Captain Philips, locally called maitumbi (pot-bellied), made his first entry to Hadejia on 16th December 1903 on his way from Machina to Katagum, where British rule had already been established. By that time most of the emirates in Sokoto Caliphate had been conquered and overrun by the British, with their rulers either killed or deposed and exiled. Hadejia Emirate, however, was one of the very few exceptions, though its rulers and people were quite aware of what had happened to their fellow brothers and sisters in those conquered emirates. Under the circumstances, Captain Philips was given a cold reception, and he continued with his journey to Katagum, from where he made all necessary plans to bring Hadejia under the British fold.
After several unsuccessful attempts, Captain Philips finally succeeded in getting permission to enter Hadejia, where he stayed for eight days at the residence of the Zangoma of Hadejia. This gave him an opportunity to establish contact with some important personalities including the Emir. Early in the 1904 he was made an Assistant Resident in-charge of Katagum sub-province, with headquarters at Katagum. From Katagum he continued to frequent Hadejia with a view to wooing the emirate to submit to British rule. He at least succeeded in getting permission from Hadejia rulers to build a residence in the town at a place called tsamiya hudu. The place eventually became a meeting point between Hadejia rulers and the British officials who frequented Hadejia from Katagum in an effort to persuade Hadejia to submit.
Captain Philips also succeeded in getting approval from the Emir to relocate his residence to a new place outside the eastern gate. He also built an office and an army barrack at the same place in January 1905, after assuring the Emir that his soldiers were not to be used against Hadejia, rather they were to serve as a protection against French troops from Zinder. From his new base at bariki Captain Philips continued his visits to the town, including to the Emir’s palace. This enabled him to collect more intelligence report on Hadejia, and its local politics. When war finally broke out between Hadejia and the British in 1906, it was Captain Philips who led the British forces in what has generally come to be regarded as the fiercest and most brutal British campaign in the entire Sokoto Caliphate. In the course of the war, Captain Philips tried to personally capture Emir Muhammadu Mai Shahada but was fatally stabbed and injured by the Emir in self defence. He later died of his injuries on 12th September 1906, and was buried together with other British casualties at a place very close to the barrack, now called bariki or old G.R.A in Hadejia. Kabarin Maitumabi now stands as a symbol of resistance by the people of Hadejia against a foreign invasion. It also signifies the noble effort by the people of Hadejia to defend and protect their religion, their independence, and their way of life as is expected of every muslim.
DUTSE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Dutse International Airport is the airport serving the city of Dutse, the capital of Jigawa State, Nigeria. The airport is 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) northwest of the city. The airport was commissioned in 2014 by the then Nigerian President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. The airport is said to have been built at the cost of 11 billion naira. It is built to attract investors to the state as well as to make it a hub for agricultural purposes. It was also built for cargo and commercial purposes. This airport is operated by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN).
Dutse International Airport has one of the best and finest runways in Nigeria. The runway has the capacity to accommodate a jumbo aircraft with its 3.6 kilometers runway.
Make sure you take along your flight documents: passport, flight ticket, booking confirmation and your luggage when visiting for flight purpose. The most common visitors here are the travelers, tourists, pilgrims, travel agents, and aviation officials.
The airport is an architectural masterpiece with its beauty. It is also strategically sited to connect Jigawa State with the rest of the world. It is one of the most beautiful modern airports in Nigeria. It has a standard terminal and tarmac, smooth runway, a seven-storey control tower, a fire service station, access roads, Arrival & Departure sections. The airport is fully air-conditioned which will make you want to visit and use the airport always for your tour around the world.