The Ministry of Sports has marked shops for demolition at the National Stadium, Lagos as it continues its bid to restore the facility to its original plan, occupants of the arena have said.

Occupants and business owners were on August 17 given a seven-day notice to evacuate the premises, but sources told The PUNCH on Monday that the eviction period had been extended by another seven days.

A business owner at the stadium, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, said some shops inside the stadium had already been earmarked for demolition.

“We don’t know if they’ll allow us go back in after they are done with the renovations, but they have already marked some shops for demolition,” the source told The PUNCH.

“The stadium has been locked for about five months, and they said everyone should go in and pack their belongings. They gave us a seven-day ultimatum for everyone to pack out and told us they don’t want to see us again. But now, they’ve added another seven days to it.”

Another business owner at the stadium said the extension notice was not official, adding that some occupants were yet to evacuate their goods.

“We heard people say they’ve extended the eviction notice but we are yet to see a letter to that effect. My goods are still inside the stadium. Everything is all hearsay for now,” she told The PUNCH.

“We are expecting them to call us maybe later this week or next week for a meeting because we also heard that they (ministry officials) are going to have a meeting this week and some officials from Abuja will join them. For now, we are still in the dark.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here