Enugu State University of Science and Technology
|Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Luke Okechukwu Anike|
|Location||Enugu , Enugu State , Nigeria|
500 hectares (1,200 acres)
The Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) is a university in Nigeria that was founded as ASUTECH on July 30, 1980.
The University was conceived with the aim to establish an institution that must be closely related to society, its industry and above all, serve as a catalyst in the technological advancement of the people, hence the university’s motto remains “Technology for Service”.
The enactment of the law establishing the University by the then Anambra State House of Assembly was followed by the appointment of late professor Kenneth Onwuka Dike as the first President and Chief Executive of the University and the inauguration of the first Provisional Council of the University with late Professor Onwuka Dike as its first Chairman/President. (Oct 1980 – Oct 1983).
Later, Professor Chinua Achebe was appointed Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council with Professor Chiweyite Ejike as Vice Chancellor (1987 – 1988). The management team of the university at that time included Mr. F.C. Eze – Registrar, Mr. G.C. Akachukwu – Acting Bursar and Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Ene – University Librarian.
At the end of Professor Achebe’s tenure, Professor Gaius Igboeli was appointed the next Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the University Governing Council. (1989 – 1991) while Professor Chiweyite Ejike was still the Vice Chancellor.
Following the creation of Enugu State in 1991 and the subsequent change of the name of the university to Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Hon, Justice Anthony Aniagolu was appointed the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Governing Council with Prof. Julius Onuorah Onah as the Vice Chancellor (1992 – 1996). The Management team under Professor Onah included Dr. Fidelis Ogah as the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Mr. F.C. Eze as Registrar, Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Eneh – University Librarian and Mr. G.C. Akachukwu – Bursar.
At the end of the tenure of Professor Julius Onah came in quick succession, Professor T.C. Nwodo as acting Vice Chancellor and later Professor Mark Anikpo as acting Vice Chancellor also.
A new Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council in the person of Igwe Charles Abangwu with Professor Samuel C. Chukwu as the Vice Chancellor (January 2000 – December, 2003 were later put in place.
The end tenure of Igwe Charles Abangwu was followed by the appointment of Igwe Francis Okwor (now late) as Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council between January 2004 and August 2004.
Following the death of the Pro-Chancellor, a Management Committee was inaugurated to govern the university between August 2004 and August 2006 with Chief Clement Okwor who was then, the Head of Service in Enugu State as its chairman.
Professor Ikechukwu Chidobem was later appointed the Vice Chancellor in 2006 to succeed Professor Chukwu. The Management team under Professor Chidobem included Mr. Simon N.P. Nwankwo as Registrar, Mr. Fabian Ugwu as Bursar and Mr George Igwebuike as acting University Librarian.
A new Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council in the person of Barrister David Ogbodo was later appointed to replace the Management Committee in August 2006.
Other members of the council include Prof. Fab. Onah, Prof. David Edeani, Chief G.O. Okereke, Mrs. Janet Ngene, Mrs. Fidelia Agu, Arc. Sylvester Chineke (now late) and Professor Nene Obianyo – Provost, College of Medicine.
To be premier university in Africa in capacity development that promotes services to the society through quality teaching, research and community service.
To promote scholarship, especially in the areas of Science, Management and Technology, thereby ensuring the development of quality manpower that will utilize technology for the service of society.
- Faculty of Agricultural & Natural Resources Management
- Faculty of Applied Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences.
- His Lordship, Most Rev. (Prof.) Godfrey I. Onah – Pro Chancellor
- Professor Luke Okechukwu Anike – Vice-Chancellor
- Prof. Samuel Godwin Nwoye Eze – Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Mr. Leonard Khama – Registrar/Secretary to Council
- Vice-Chancellor – Professor Luke Okechukwu Anike
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor – Professor Samuel Godwin Nwoye Eze
- Registrar – Mr. Leonard Khama
- Bursar – Mr. Ikenna Ezeugwu
- University Librarian – Mr. George Eke Asogwa
- Chigozie Atuanya, Nigerian actor, producer and entrepreneur
- Blossom Chukwujekwu, Nigerian actor
- Sandra Ezekwesili, Nigerian Broadcast Journalist, Radio Presenter, Public Speaker and Compere
- Osinakachukwu Ideozu, Nigerian businessman and People’s Democratic Party politician
- Stephen Ocheni, Nigerian professor
- Mao Ohuabunwa, Nigerian politician, businessman
- Tessy Okoli, Provost of Federal College of Education (Technical), Umunze
- Nnamdi Okonkwo, Chief Executive Officer/ Managing Director of Fidelity Bank Nigeria
- Chika Okpala, Nigerian comedian
- Lawrence Onochie, Nigerian pastor and public speaker
- Nkiru Sylvanus, Nigerian actress
- Dave Umahi, Governor of Ebonyi State
- Daniel Lloyd, Nigerian actor.