Achievers University is in Owo, Ondo State Nigeria
The university is a private-sector initiative, established in 2007 and accredited by the National Universities Commission. It is located on land in the Idasen community of Owo, consisting of Ulale 1, Ulale 11, Ulema, Ijegunma, Isijogun and Amurin Elegba (formerly Amurin, Ogain)
The university sprang from the Achievers Group of Education and Training Organization, located in Ibadan Oyo State of Nigeria owned and run by Mr Bode Ayorinde and other educationalists. The university commenced academic activities during the 2007/2008 academic session.
In the Nigerian National University Commission annual university rankings for 2013, it was rated 53rd.
In July 2012 it was one of the seven private universities in Nigeria to have its operating license suspended as part of a clampdown on private institutions offering unapproved or low-quality courses and substandard facilities. The licence was restored on July 17, 2012 following an inspection by the National Universities Commission. Hon. Dr. Bode Ayorinde (FCIB, LL.B, BL, Ph.D), joined the then Cooperative Bank Plc in 1983 with a National Diploma in Secretarial Studies. Desirous of making progress in the Banking Industry, he registered for the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN) professional examinations and attended the Institute’s Tuition Centre at Ibadan to pass the first eight (8) subjects in Part 1 of the institute’s examination. However, there was no tuition Centre in Ibadan to teach the remaining eight (8) subjects in Part 2 of the Institute’s examination, all Ibadan students had to go to Lagos every weekend for lectures. This vacuum in Ibadan propelled Dr. Bode Ayorinde to establish the Achievers Continuing Education Centre in 1991 at Ibadan. The Centre provided tuition for the professional examinations of CIBN, ATS and ICAN students. The Centre later added GCE and JAMB coaching, anchored the satellite campus of Ondo State Polytechnic at Ibadan, founded the Achievers High School, Ibadan and served as the spring board upon which Achievers University was established in Owo, his home town, in 2008.
Achievers Continuous Education Centre was initially a family business of Hon. Dr. Bode Ayorinde. The business was formally registered in 1994 as a private limited liability company. However, the decision to expand the scope of the Educational Institute towards the establishment of a private University caused the family to invite notable personalities to join the company. The offer, through a private placement attracted important personalities like Chief Mrs. Olutoyin Olakunri, Sen. T.O Olupitan, Late Sen. Kolawole, Professors and Senior Academics to subscribe to the shares. In all, 90 shareholders emerged and became the owners of the University.
Eleven Years of Operation
Achievers commenced operations on 2nd April 2008. During this period the University has admitted students for 12 academic sessions and has graduated 8 sets of graduates that have regularly participated in the National Youth Service (NYSC) programme. The University runs a collegiate system comprising 4 colleges and the programs run are listed below:
College of Natural and Applied Science
- Department of Chemical sciences
- Department of Biological sciences
- Department of Geology
- Department of Mathematics and Computer science
- Department of Nursing science
- Department of Medical Laboratory Science
- Department of Basic Medical science
College of Social and Management Science
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Political Science & International Relations
- Department of Banking and Finance
- Department of Economics
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of General Studies
College of Engineering (NEW)
- Department of Electrical / Electronic Engineering
- Department of Telecommunication Engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Mechatronic Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
College of Law (NEW)
- Department of Private and Business Law
- Department of Public and International Law
School of Postgraduate School (NEW)
- Postgraduate Diplomas in Accounting, Business Administration
- Master of Science Programme in Accounting, Business Administration and Computer Science
- The School also runs a professional Masters Programme (MBA) in Business Administrations.
The University operates on its permanent site, an expanse of land measuring 187 hectares covered by a Certificate of Occupancy on Kilometer 1 Idasen-Ute Road Owo, Ondo State. At age 9, the University at its permanent site can boast of the following infrastructure:
- 8 Academic Blocks.
- 2 Administrative Blocks.
- University Mini Library.
- University Health Centre.
- University Auditorium.
- University Sports Centre.
- University library.
- The ICT Centre.
- 500 bed-space Hall of Residence.
- 800 bed-space Hostel (nearing completion)
Vision & Mission of the University
To be the best university in Africa and indeed one of the best in the world; to produce a total person, morally sound, properly educated and entrepreneurially oriented, who would be useful to himself and to the society.
To provide the enabling environment – both physical and academic – for the production of competent and quality graduates who would be self-reliant, highly productive and globally relevant in every sphere of human endeavor.
The Board of Trustees of the University, registered with the NUC is composed of the following eminent personalities.
- Emeritus Professor David Ijalaye, JSD,SAN,FNIALS,FNSIL,NUDP – Chairman
- Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN
- Professor Olabanji Olateru- Olagbegi
- Dr. (Mrs) Victoria Ajala
- Mr. Goke Popoola
- Dr. (Chief) Adewumi Abitoye
- Hon. Dr. Bode Ayorinde.
The University Management
Achievers University has achieved a stable management since inception. Professor Johnson Odebiyi was appointed the pioneer vice-chancellor in 2008. He was in the saddle of the management for six years before he handed over to the second Vice-Chancellor, Professor Tunji Ibiyemi who is currently the head of Management and the Senate of the University. Currently, the management of the University is made up of the following members:
- Senator Bode Olajumoke – Chancellor
- Hon. Dr Olabode Ayorinde – Pro Chancellor
- Engr. Prof. Tunji Ibiyemi – Vice Chancellor
- Mrs B.F. Sofowora – Registrar
- Mr. D. O. Farinre – Bursar
- Mrs Ogbuiyi Darlina C. – Ag Librarian
Our lecturers will support you and get you going, but their ambition is not to spoon-feed but to empower you. We don’t just want you to get a degree; our aim is that you discover and fulfil your potential. We recruit academics who are enthusiastic about teaching. Our academics are fully committed to teaching seeking to convey their insights, understanding and expertise as effectively and clearly as possible. In each of our departments, we cultivate an inclusive community of learning. Students get to know their lecturers who all identify times when appointments can be booked; some also offer an open door policy. Our departmental administrators are happy to help with practical questions and provide a warm and friendly welcome to the department. Everyone seeks to be approachable and friendly; we want our students to feel they really belong.
Names of Staff at Achievers University with their positions:
- Engr. T.S. Ibiyemi Ph.D, M.Sc (Bradford) V.C
- Prof. S.O Oyewole B.Sc Ph.D (Ibadan), FlS, MNIM Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies
- Prof. O. A. Orifowomo LL.B, LL.M, MBA, M.Phil, Ph.D Law Dean Colaw
- Prof. S. A. Daramola B.Eng, M.Sc Eng, Ph.D Information and Communication Dean COET
- Dr. (Mrs) Adetoyesi .O Daniels B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D Microbiology (Ado Ekiti) Ag. Dean CoNAS
- Prof. J.A. Akinyanju B.Sc (Nsukka) Ph.D (Lancaster)
- Prof J. A Fayeye B.Sc,M.Sc,MS.w,Ph.D (Ibadan) Dean CoSMAS
- Dr. T. S Adenegan B.Sc. Edu (Biology), M.Ed, Ph.D (Counselling Psychology),Dip (Compt Sci),Cert (Adapt), MISL, MACSI, MCASSON, MIOE. Ag. Dean Student Affairs
- Prof. L.O. Adetula B.Sc, M.Sc (Maths Edu) Ph.D (Mathematics) H.o.d. Mathematical Science
- Prof A.I Ayodele B.Sc (Lagos),Ph.D (Ibadan) H.O.D Economics
- Dr. I .E Ogbeifun HND (Auchi), ACA, FCA, MBA, (Uniben) M.Sc (Okada), M.Sc Info Tech (Noun), M.Ed G&C, (Owerri) Ph.D (Ekpoma) “H.O.D Accounting”
- Dr. O.A Hassan B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D (Ago-iwoye), FMLSCN H.O.D Medical Laboratory Science
- Mr. G.V. Osimen B.Sc, (Ekpoma), M.Sc, (Ibadan). DIS, (Ibadan). H.O.D Political Science
- Dr. E A Alo B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D Business Administration (Ilorin), MCBA (Lagos) H.O.D Business Administration
- Mr. M. B Okunadde M.Sc. (Analytical Chemistry, University of Salford, U.k) H.O.D Chemical Science
- Mr. S.K Ariyo M.Sc Geology (Abu), B.Sc (Ife), Dip Ascon (Badagary) H.O.D Geological Science
- Dr. S.k Olubiyi BNSC (Nzukka), M.Sc, Ph.D Public and Community Health Nursing(Ilorin), RPHN, RN H.O.D Nursing Science
- Dr. O.A Agbegbedia B.A (Philosophy), M.A, Ph.D Peace and Conflict Studies (Ibadan) H.O.D Sociology/Criminology and Security Studies
- Prof. I. Solarin B.A (MINN), M.A (Atlanta), M.A (Ohio), Ph.D (Atlanta) Chairman AU-FAP Board
- Mr. K.A Adegoke ANIIM, ACTI, FCIB, B.Sc (Ago- Iwoye), MBA (Lautech), M.Tech (Lautech) H.O.D Banking and Finance
- Mr. O.A Udi B.Sc, M.Sc Cordinator. Dept. Basic Medical Sciences
- Mr. A Addegboyega Cordinator SIWES
- Mr. J. B Femi Olaleye GST Cordinator